September 06, 2009

Run Baby Run

Yes, the title of this post is taken from a Sheryl Crow song. Got a problem with that?

But it is perfectly on target for the topic of the day: running. Or you might call it jogging, but that sounds obnoxious. Do American people even say that? I've only heard it n the mouth of French people--those weirdos who use English words that English-speaking persons would say only when tortured.

Anyway. One of the biggest presents my American year has given me (you know I'm being sarcastic when I say "presents", right?) is a new appreciation for running. After finals I used to go everyday for an hour. I know you're impressed.
Then I went back to France and no one runs here so I just got lazy. And then I had go to work and running was not even an option anymore.

But now my good resolutions are kicking in again, thank God--why yes, if He exists, I'm sure my running routine is one of His top priorities, just after peace in the Middle-East.

So I'm getting back to it, and I want to recall my old self when I began to run a few months ago in the US. Because it was freaking hard to get started, so I have to remember exactly how it went, so that I can overcome again the obstacles that shall stand before me and... what exactly? Let's say... being in shape, even if it sounds horrendous.

Yes, the beginnings were not easy. First, I'm a smoker; and secondly, I'm a smoker! And also, my resistance to effort was (is?) laughable. I mean, carrying my grocery bags is a burden. That's why I wanted no one to judge and/or mock me, and so I used to go run all by myself. There are plenty of reasons for that. First, you don't have to talk to your running buddy. I already have trouble to explain my ideas and make my points, so how am I supposed to do when my brain is not properly oxygenated? Also, chitchatting is a sport in itself, and I am not good at multitasking.
Not to mention that I'm not a pleasant thing to look at when I'm running. I don't know if anyone really is, but in my case it's really frightening. When people pass me, I can hear them shiver. Once a kid saw me on my frantic daily odyssey and had something that looked like an epileptic seizure. Cause-effect relationship anyone?

But the thing is: in France, at least here in my hometown, no one runs. Or the very few who do run at 6 am. I am not that dedicated.
I'm daring, but not enough to cope with the concerned looks of people who drive you by wondering what you're doing and why on earth you're doing it. I know, it's weird, right? Haven't they seen Forrest Gump? People run, that's just how it goes. But anyway, I think once I'm back in the city it's going to be easier, but for now I'm either not running or running with a friend who can sustain the sight of my reddish face. Maybe she'll get canonized one day.

I know you're wondering why I'm running. Well maybe I'm masochistic. Maybe I just want an opportunity to wear shorts. Maybe I just wanted to write something about running and decided to run for this purpose only. But I think that I just like it. Endorphines, that kind of stuff. Sound mind, sound body -- yeah right, not gonna happen.

Or maybe I just want to have the same picture of me taken and framed above my fireplace.


Except I don't have a fireplace.

So since I'm a really nice person (well, not according to my colleague, who told me I was "right out from a Stephen King novel", which was actually a nice thing to say in context, but whatever) I am giving you the secret of my workout routine: a good playlist! I'm sure you already have your own, but you should check this one out. Just because I say so, that's right.

Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl

Because if you make an habit out of running, someday someone will say to you too "You look so fine and I really want to make you mine."

HOTTUB - M.A.N.B.I.T.C.H
.
For the strong-headed girls we all are. Running makes you tougher. Think of Madonna.

Lil'Mama - Lip Gloss

Just the perfect motivating song when you feel you can't do it anymore.

Kelis - Milkshake

If you want your milkshake to bring all the boys to the yard, you know what you have to do.

Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Exactly what you'll be if you run.

Birds of Tokyo - White Witch

A nice rhythm to get you through.

The Donnas - Take Me to the Backseat

Because girls can have cojones too.

The Fashion - Solo Impala (Take the Money and Run) [RAC Remix]
Because running is fun even if you have no money to take.

Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now

Because that's what running is all about.

The Fratellis - For the Girl

Makes you run without you even noticing it. Easy!

Hanson - Mmm Bop

My personal touch, obviously.

The Von Bondies - C'mon C'mon

Catchy and spunky

Wolfmother - Woman

Energetic

Rage Against The Machine - Guerilla Radio

Will make you run even if you don't want to.

TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me
Just the perfect song to run on and on and on. And on.

And here you go, a tested and approved workout playlist. This one can also work for cleaning up your apartment of for setting up an "I write angst poems" mood; but it is not suitable for writing essays or making out--or maybe it is for you, in which case I don't want to know anything about it.

2 comments:

  1. true that the right (not always good) playlist can help with running but...calling that a present is far to much for me! i think God (if He is somewhere and ever existed) commited a great sin, well, lets say an enormous mistake when inventing that torture. you must agreewith me He didnt put to much thought in it: just go outside and do whatever you do when you are late, you are missing the bus or you are playing soccer but without a target, just for the sake of it. and you dont even need a good surface, or time, or company...blah!
    and you say you run an 1 hour!? my goodness! i didnt know you were that brave!
    at least it comforts me knowing that this hideous habit hasnt reached yet the pure coasts of Europe! we can still call it jogging. yes, it is the same in Spain. wait, actually that is quite weird! are we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said I used to go for an hour, but I didn't run for the whole time... My body just can't do it. Yet.
    Apparently jogging is a word in English too. But I sill don't feel like using it. Maybe it's my European self-hate speaking.

    ReplyDelete