October 27, 2009

Crushes

Everyone has them once in a while, right? For pretty much everything. It can last for ten minutes, ten days or ten years, but crushes all have a certain magic about them. It's like you couldn't tell exactly what makes you so attracted to them, you just are and you can't get enough. Kind of the same thing as an addiction, and God knows I have an addictive personality--relax, it's just an expression, I still don't believe in God.

So here are three of my most recent crushes. Drum roll.

Crush #1 is a band. Don't act like you don't know which one.

I love awkward poses in pictures.

Yes, I'm talking about Kasabian. As everyone probably knows by now, I saw them in concert last weekend and they were fucking amazing (I can't help swearing when I love something). I already liked them a lot before but now I'm seriously in love. I'm listening to their albums on a loop, I even bought the collector edition of West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum, and I have tickets to their February shows. Basically, I'm a groupie. It's not just that I think Sergio Pizzorno is the hottest guy ever.

Even if he is.

But more importantly, after listening to them non-stop for days, I really can say that their music and its vibe speaks to my soul. Even my body has a reaction to it. I was floating out of myself Saturday, high on the music and only on the music. It was one of those magic moments: you can't remember for sure if they were real but you felt something more, without knowing what it was. I'm sorry, I can't explain myself (and I probably sound a bit freaky), but it's how it was. I guess you have to experience it by yourselves.
About this song, Serge says himself that "everyone is going mental for it live". I have to agree.




Crush #2
is a TV show, it's called
Breaking Bad, and it's gonna rock your world.
The story is about Walter White, a middle-aged chemistry teacher (Bryan Cranston, Hal from Malcolm in the Middle, whom you will not recognize) who discovers he has inoperable lung cancer and decides to start cooking and dealing meth to provide for his family once he's gone. He finds a partner in a stoner drop-out, lost sheep former student of his (Aaron Paul). It's a pretty dark drama, but there are also sparks of black humor. I highly recommend it. If you like shows like The Shield (the character of Walt's brother-in-law is like Vic McKey's little brother), and/or if you like well-constructed, well-written, well-acted, intense shows that will leave you out of breath on your couch once the episode is over, then Breaking Bad is for you.
To give you an idea, this is the opening scene of the pilot. I will say no more, except that there are already 2 seasons (20 episodes total) and a third one should be coming in 2010.




Crush #3 is this book. I ordered it on Amazon along with books for school because I thought I could really use some breaks from working. It turns out that now, I'm just immersed in that book and I work during the breaks I take from reading.
I have a bad feeling about this.

Quote which could be featured in this book

This book is seriously addictive. Especially for a film whore like me.
I'll give you one of my favorite quote, from Paul Thomas Anderson's Boogie Nights:
- I'm not going to shoot you in the state you're in.
- State of what? State of California? I know where the fuck I am, Jack.

These days, my life basically revolves around those three crushes. I'd try to throw in some eating, but I'm not very good at multitasking.

2 comments:

  1. finally i found one in english so...here i come!
    i partly agree. i have crushes and even if they happen in a second, i am very loyal person, and they stay forever, for the better or the worst.
    but i think i always know the reason. or else i made them up.
    my latest:
    -a band: the beatles (fall in love again, like old marriages, we re-discovered our passion)
    -a TV show: well, u know, the office! amazing how funny they actually are. cj¡heck it out, and dont fall in love with brian, he is my 2.5 crush!
    -carrots: anyhow, they are delicious. i cannot beileve i use to hate them! mmm yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carrots too! And The Beatles of course, but who doesn't love them?
    I don't know about The Office: I found some episodes really funny, but some others were not. And I never got addicted, I can totally miss episodes and I don't care about it! But I promise I'll give it another try and start from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete